Mittwoch, 21. März 2007

Interview

I = Interviewer

G = Gordan Steller > 25 years

At the end of the 19th century I am interviewing a worker of the biggest company in London.

I: Hello, I am a reporter of The New York Times and I am writing an article about the mass production of steel in this company. What about the human conditions at the work?

G: Hello! In my opinion we work too hard and too long. The attendants force us to work 12-14 hours a day for a few pounds. On one hand we shouldn’t work under these circumstances and I’m not the only one who thinks so, but on the other hand we need the money to buy at least a little bit bread and maybe some coffee.

I: Why don’t you rebel against these cruel, mostly rich people! Perhaps you could reach goals, for example getting more food or less work time.

G: No. That’s completely rubbish. There is no possibility to demonstrate in the street or in underground groups. As a result we would loose our urgently needed jobs. And that would be fatal, because most workers have no special abilities or education. A demonstration also could be punished with a trial or a death penalty.

I: What about the human rights? Are they of no worth here?

G: No! The employers don’t care about us! Most workers die between 30 and 40 years of age. Our children begin to word with 7 years and we have to sleep in a dump hole. No! Here are no human rights!

I: Thank you! I hope my article will change something in your position.

5 Kommentare:

Guenter hat gesagt…

What about the link to Sebastian???

Guenter hat gesagt…

Sebastian: http://e--blog.blogspot.com/

Guenter hat gesagt…

You don't use sufficient information from the pages that I linked to. Your English is quite unidiomatic here.
(t) I interviewed? (the interview is past)
(exp, g) the working conditions at work
(exp) attendant?? --> what did you want to say? supervisor?
(g) on the one hand - on the other hand
(exp) I want at least some bread
(str, exp) "for example getting more food ..." --> "such as getting more to eat and working less.
(exp) "loose" = lose (nicht fixiert)
(exp) "special abilities or education" --> no special skills or training
(wo) a demonstration could also ...
(exp) "punished with a trial" --> mit einem Gerichtsverfahren kann man nichs strafen
(g) the death penalty
(exp) Aren't they esteemed here? (???)
(exp) to work with

Guenter hat gesagt…

(g) complete rubbish (adjective + noun)

Guenter hat gesagt…

(exp) it will change something about your living situation